- 5 pounds flat brisket of beef
- 2 tsp sale
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Garlic and onion powder to taste
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can beer
- Place beef on a rack in a large roaster, fat side up. Season both sides of meat with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Place onions, celery and chili sauce over meat. Put 1/4 cup of water in bottom pan.
- Roast in a 325-degree oven, uncovered, basting oven with drippings until meat becomes well browned. COVER. After beef has baked for 3 1/2 hours (having checked occasionally to see there is still enough liquid and if need, as in some more water), pour beer over meat. Recover and bake 1 1/2 hours longer or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and let cool slightly before slicing. Then slather with the dark gravy and Serve with roasted potatoes, your favorite greens--and more Belgian ale!
NOTE: To make day ahead, remove meat and cool after baking. Strain gravy into a bowl; let set until fat rises to the top. Skim off as much as possible. Slice meat. Before serving reheat meat in skimmed gravy. Add 1/2 cup water if necessary.
Source : Evenings with Peter
Share It To Your Friends!