- 5 egg yolks
- 200g condensed milk
- 60 mls milk
- a drop of vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup of sugar or caster sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and then add the condensed milk. Continue to whisk until combined. Add the milk and a drop of vanilla essence and continue whisking untill all ingredients are combined.
- Strain the egg and milk mixture onto a clean medium bowl to get rid of any impurities or leftover egg whites. This will ensure you get a smooth leche flan.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, pour the sugar in and begin to caramelise. Keep your eyes on this as you don’t want it to burn. Turn off heat once sugar has caramelised into a nice golden brown colour.
- Immediately pour the caramelised sugar into your mould or cake pan and swirl it around a bit to cover the bottom evenly. Set this aside to cool but DO NOT let this get hard.
- Pour the eggs and milk mixture into your mould with the caramelised sugar (make sure the caramel has cooled off otherwise it will blend with the leche flan mix which we don’t want) and steam on a double boiler for about 30 minutes on low to medium heat.
--Some people bake their leche flans on a water bath but I don’t know what the results would be. I have always known for leche flans to be steamed.
--Ensure that when you pour your leche flan mix into the mould, your caramel has cooled down otherwise, you will end up incorporating the caramel into the leche flan mixture. You will lose that golden brown caramel layer on top.
Source : much a munch
Share It To Your Friends!